How to become a Foster Parent in Georgia.
There are over 15,000 children in Georgia Foster Care. For every child placed there are hundreds more waiting for someone like YOU to provide them with the safe, stable, and loving environment they crave and deserve. By becoming a foster parent you are positively impacting these children at an exceptionally fragile point in their lives and creating a future filled with hope and promise.
At Necco our main mission is to build families of every walk of life and to support them on their journey. In addition to the wealth of information, you’ll receive on becoming a foster parent, Necco also provides a 24-hour crisis hotline, licensed staff to help you at any time, and the highest level of care to our children and families.
Becoming a Foster Parent in Georgia
- Call or visit your local Necco office to discuss the requirements and process of becoming a foster parent. A member of the Necco staff in your area will answer any questions you have about the fostering process and get you scheduled for an orientation session.
Getting to know you 101
- During your foster parent training, Necco wants you to tell us what you're hoping to gain from this experience and how you feel you can be the best foster parent. We do so to determine the best fit for both you and the child or children you will be fostering.
Home Study: Getting to know you even better!
- It’s not as daunting as it sounds. All it means is that a Necco team member will form a deeper connection and gain more knowledge about you, your family, and your home! Necco will really get to know who you are so we can make the best possible recommendation for placement.
You did it!
- After completing your training, paperwork, and home study your family will be approved to accept a foster child. After being approved to foster you could receive a call for placement within just a few short days.
You + your foster child
- Necco will be there with you every step of the way; before, during, and after you begin fostering a child. If you have any questions, need any help, or just want to discuss the process and the range of emotions attached, do not hesitate to reach out to your Necco family.
THE NECCO EXPERIENCE
Necco is a close-knit, culture driven, social organization that takes pride in building families. Building families can mean several different things. You could become a child’s forever-family through adoption or their temporary family to provide a safe and loving environment to a child until they are able to return home. Necco is committed to the foster parents and foster children we serve and do our very best to find the best possible match for both parent and child.
Necco works diligently to make sure you and your foster child have the best possible connection and outcome. Necco prides itself on being a constant source of support and voice to our foster families and foster children.
There are basic requirements to become a foster parent in Georgia. Among them are:
- You must be 21 years of age or older
- You must have no prohibitive criminal offenses
- You must have sufficient income in order to meet the basic needs of the household and foster child
FOR EVERY FAMILY WE BUILD, THERE IS A STORY TO TELL
Their Story. Ron and I met in Virginia. He was a police officer I was a deputy sheriff. He had 3 teenagers and my two boys were 21 and 16. We married in 2008 and Ron announced that he wanted to move. After 37 years in one place, I was moving to a new state! My youngest decided he wanted to finish high school so he remained in Va with his father (my ex husband).